Study Type
Full Time
Study Level
Level 2
Start Date:
09/09/2024
Duration
34 weeks

Course Sheets

Entry requirements

View The Isle of Wight College's standard entry requirements for full-time college courses (depending on the level of the course to be studied).

  • Interest or experience in watersports, outdoor education or maritime industry
  • Successful interview at UKSA
  • Students who do not have a 9-4 GCSE grades in English or Maths will be required to complete GCSE’s in English and Maths, whilst attending the Maritime Foundation course?.
Who the course is for
UKSA’s 2-year Maritime Foundation course is aimed at those who have no prior ?or little experience in watersports or yachting. This course provides the essential skills, qualifications and knowledge required to start a career within the Maritime Industry. This course is funded as part of a full-time 16+ further education (FE) programme. Ideal for students with who are looking to escape the classroom and gain valuable work experience to enable them to find a role within the Maritime Sector or want a structured pathway into UKSA’s Flagship Superyacht Cadetship or further training going into the Yachting and Watersports industry.
What the interview will involve

You will be sent a career plan prior to your interview date to complete and bring along with you on the day. The interview is a two-way process which will give you the opportunity to discuss the course and suitability with the subject tutor.

What you will learn
  • Year 1 – work towards achieving
    • NCFE Level 2 in Sport ?and Physical Activity - Outdoors
    • RYA Powerboat Level 2
    • RYA Dinghy Instructor (subject to completing the skills preassessment)
    • RYA Safe and Fun
    • FSRT- Foundation Safety and Rescue Training in Kayaking/Canoe
    • Paddleboard ready to Ride
    • ?STCW PSSR and PSA
    • MCA Elementary First Aid
    • Work Experience including Rope work, anchoring and industry guidance

 

  • Modules
    • Participating in sport
    • Outdoor and adventurous activities
    • Leading an outdoor activity session
    • Plan, deliver and evaluate an activity session

 

  • Year 2 – work towards achieving
    • NCFE Level 3 introductory Certificate in Sport ?and Physical Activity - Outdoors
    •  
    • RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate
    • RYA Competent Crew
    • RYA Day Skipper Theory / Practical (Subject to ability)
    • Introduction to basic deckhand skills such as splicing, wire work and varnishing
    • STCW- Fire Fighting and Prevention and Sea Survival
    • RYA Accredited Diesel Engine Maintenance Course 
    • Simulator Training and basic Nav
    • Industry Guidance including CV and Interview preparation
    • Industry visits such as Red Funnel, Royal Navy, Cowes Harbour Commission and Yacht Haven
  • NCFE Level 3 Modules
    • Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
    • Principles and Practices in outdoor adventure
    • Preparing for a career in sport and physical activity
How you will learn
  • During this 2-year programme, 75% of your training will be practical based with the remaining 25% theory
  • 4 days a week minimum
Work placement
  • Work experience at UKSA in Cowes, Isle of Wight
Progression

On completion of this course, learners gain the experience and qualifications to apply for various job opportunities within the maritime sectors. This can include:

  • Watersports instructor
  • Mate (Flotilla)
  • Deck officer (merchant navy)
  • Mate (tugs)
  • Deckhand ( Superyachts/Workboats)
Fees

There may be a cost for purchasing equipment or uniform for this course. Find out about financial support available.

Qualifications you will get
NCFE Level 2 in Sport ?and Physical Activity - Outdoors and NCFE Level 3 introductory Certificate in Sport ?and Physical Activity - Outdoors

Related Courses