T Levels Information

You may have already heard about the government’s proposal to change the current vocational education system and introduce new T Level qualifications from 2020.

What are T Levels?

Alongside Apprenticeships and A Levels, T Levels will become one of the three main options for school leavers.

T Levels are being introduced in the 2020/2021 academic year, and are designed to replace many of the vocational qualifications currently offered at level 3.

In the new 2 year level 3 vocational study programme, T Levels will offer students:

  • Specific practical skills and knowledge in a chosen industry or occupation
  • 315 hours work placement at a relevant employer
  • Core English, Maths and digital skills

Within the programmes, students can choose the occupational specialisms they wish to focus on either from the onset or during their course.  After completing a T Level programme, students will have transferrable skills to use in the workplace; they may also continue their education at university or through an apprenticeship with an employer.

Fifteen routes to employment (pathways) will be developed in fifteen sector areas, which will benefit from technical training, but not all of them will launch in 2020.

The first three areas of study for 2020 have been announced as:

  • Childcare and Education
  • Construction
  • Digital

By 2022 it is expected that technical routes will be available in all of the following areas:

  • Agriculture, Environmental and Animal Care
  • Business and Administrative
  • Catering and Education
  • Childcare and Education
  • Construction
  • Creative and Design
  • Digital
  • Engineering and Manufacturing
  • Hair and Beauty
  • Health and Science
  • Legal, Finance and Accounting
  • Protective Services
  • Sales, Marketing and Procurement
  • Social Care
  • Transport and Logistics

How Are The New Qualifications Being Developed?

The qualifications are being co-designed by the Department for Education, Institute for Apprenticeships, Education providers and employers.

The structure of the new qualifications will be different from the current system. The number of hours a student will study increases significantly over the two years, as they are required to complete at least 315 hours with an employer as part of their industry placement making up 20% of the course, with the other 80% being their teaching and study hours.

The timing of the placement may differ depending on the qualification; they may be completed as a block, series of block or as a day release where the student will spend one or two days a week with the employer for the academic year.

Need More Information?

Visit The Government website for more in-depth information about T Levels to learn more.

Support Menu

Advice & Guidance


The Isle of Wight College
Medina Way
Isle of Wight
PO30 5TA
United Kingdom
The Isle of Wight College © 2021
Privacy PolicyTerms Of ServiceFeedback