Financial Support

Financial support is available for our learners please contact Student Services for advice on the following:

  • Bursaries (support with essential course costs)
  • Travel
  • Free College Meals
  • Childcare Funding


Bursary funding provides financial support to help learners overcome barriers that may stop them being able to participate in education.


If you need financial support to help you while you are at college you can now complete an online Bursary application using the Pay My Student link below.

PLEASE Ensure that all relevant and correct evidence is supplied with your application to avoid delay.

The student Support team will contact you once your application has been successful.


Discretionary Bursary

Students with a low household income may be eligible for help towards:

  • Travel
  • Age 20+ Childcare – please also complete a 20+ Childcare form
  • Young Carers payment
  • Kit, uniform, stationery and books
  • Central Administration and Material fees
  • Membership fees
  • Replacement student cards and printing credit
  • Help towards the cost of applying to University
  • Trips
  • Other education related costs on a case by case basis.

Vulnerable Bursary

A yearly bursary of up to £1,200 is available to students aged 16-18 on 31st August 2021. To apply you will need to provide evidence from the defined vulnerable groups – see 16+ Bursary form for more information.


In addition to other bursary help eligible students aged 16-18 and some students aged 19-24 (19+ Continuer or EHCP students only) may be able to receive Free College Meals (FCM) depending on the benefits received by the household:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • the guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC))
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after someone stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 pa

Your evidence for Free College Meals can also be used as bursary evidence.


Bursary help available:

Learners with a low individual income may be eligible for help towards:

  • Travel
  • Age 20+ Childcare – please also complete a 20+ Childcare form
  • Additional Learning Support
  • Kit, uniform, stationery and books – predetermined list applies
  • Material fees
  • Membership fees – you may need to provide receipts
  • Replacement student cards and printing credit
  • Help towards the cost of applying to University
  • Trips – based on individual circumstances

For further information and enquiries please call 01983 550833.


You may be eligible through one of the IW College Bursaries for support towards the costs of travelling to and from college either through a free bus pass or a travel allowance paid in arrears.

Travel is awarded to bursary learners living at least 3 miles from their College site or work placement. If you would like a free bursary bus pass then you will need to complete a bus pass form and hand this in with your bursary. The contribution towards petrol money is paid at the end of each Term based on attendance.

Students with a SEN or an EHCP should apply to the Isle of Wight Council for travel help. Please contact the SEN Team on 01983 823470 or email

Support through the bursary is not available to students on an apprenticeship. However, apprentices can apply for up to 80% off a Southern Vectis multi-bundle by contacting

If you do not qualify for a bursary, or help from the IW Council, there are other forms of transport help available:

If you are aged 16 years old, Southern Vectis will allow a 50% discount on bus fares. You must provide photo ID to confirm your age before any discounts can be applied.

If you are a student aged 17 or older Southern Vectis will allow a 25% discount on fares for students with an NUS Extra or TOTUM card.


TOTUM, the new name for the NUS (National Union of Students) extra card, brings you student discounts to save you money.  Go to to see all 200+ UK discounts and if you wish to purchase a TOTUM card.


The College Student ID Cards can be used to gain discounts from a range of local shops and services.


The government is introducing new ways to help parents with childcare costs. Whether you have toddlers or teens, you could get support. Please visit for more information.

Students aged between 16 to 19 years of age can access childcare support through the government funded Care to Learn scheme. Further details on Care to Learn funding and how to apply can be found at

Students aged 20+ can apply for childcare support through the College Bursaries – please ask for a 20+ Childcare application form and hand in as soon as possible with your bursary to secure funding.


If you are taking a full-time course (540 hours or over per year), you will be charged a Central Material fee of £40 at the start of your course year.

Other than that, you will only need to purchase equipment for your course that you can take away with you at the end and depending on your circumstances there may be some financial help for this element of the material charge.


Please refer to our Tuition Fees page for further information.


Visit for free, unbiased, independent advice on loans for adults in further education and training.


If you think your finances will prevent you from starting a course please phone Student Services on 01983 550833 or email

Support Menu

Advice & Guidance

The Isle of Wight College
Medina Way
Isle of Wight
PO30 5TA
United Kingdom
The Isle of Wight College © 2021
Privacy PolicyTerms Of ServiceFeedback