Here at The Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work as a Boat Builder Apprentice at Sea Lion Services Limited.
This is a unique opportunity to join a thriving business.
Located in Cowes, Sea Lion Services Limited provide a whole host of unique marine and domestic interiors to meet the needs of their clientele.
Owing to business growth and rather excitingly, Sea Lion Services are now looking to recruit their first apprentice into the organisation. The successful candidate will have a keen interest in boats and the marine industry.
Main tasks and responsibilities to include:
· Outfitting of commercial and leisure vessels
· Role will consist of marine joinery works as well as minor fittings and external fittings you would typically find on vessels, i.e. windows doors, safety equipment
· GRP works involved, fitting and scribing grp mouldings to fit internal shapes
· Fitting of Prefabbed seats and furniture
· Opportunity to travel nationally and potentially internationally within the role
Essential Qualities and Skills:
· Interested in the water and boating
· Good hand skills
· Working well both within a team and independently
· Communication skills
· Ability to resolve problems quickly
· Ability to read and understand technical drawings
· Boat Builder Apprenticeship Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard
· Duration of Apprenticeship will be 3 to 4 years
· Functional Skills in Maths and English if required and if not previously achieved GCSE grade 4 or above
· There is a requirement to complete 20% off the job training, time spent either learning something new, other courses or any support work that is not in your usual role will also be counted
· Weekly attendance at college as part of the apprenticeship
40 hours per week
£5.00 per hour
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £4.30 per hour. This applies to 16-18-year-old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Once qualified and dependant on needs of the business at the time of apprenticeship completion, there may be the potential to grow within the company and become a part of a skilled workforce.
So, if this sounds like the next step you want to take with your career, then please apply with a cover letter and CV telling us why you feel you would be the ideal person to take on this brilliant opportunity!!
Please do not contact the company directly – all applications must be made through www.isleofwightjobs.com