Here at The Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work as an Engineering Operative Apprentice for Webb’s Vectis Workshop.
Based in Ventnor on the Isle of Wight, Webb’s Vectis Workshop is a family run business with over 6 years of experience in the camper conversion industry.
The business offers a wide range of services from lining out and windows to full bespoke hand made cabinet work, pop top roofs, gas and electric installations. Full list of services below:
- Fitting of pop top roofs/high top roof.
- Fitting of windows/skylights.
- Fitting of solar panel systems.
- Fitting of 12v/230v systems.
- Fitting of gas systems.
- Fitting of hot and cold-water systems.
- Insulating of vans.
- Ply-lining of vans.
- Veltrim carpeting of vans.
- Fitting of ply and vinyl flooring.
- Fitting of rock and roll bed systems/ seats.
- Manufacturing of brackets/ clamps.
- Welding and restoration of camper vans.
- Custom bespoke cabinet work.
- Assembly of CNC cut cabinet work.
- Visual upgrades – wheels, suspension, body kits.
Rather excitingly and owing to expansion, Webb’s Vectis Workshop are now looking for a pro-active, presentable and motivated apprentice to join their team whilst working towards an Engineering Apprenticeship programme.
- Assisting senior staff members in the day to day tasks
- These could involve anything from the jobs above to lifting and shifting of materials
- Helping run wires, preparing trim to dress window cuts, preparing edges of roof holes to remove rough edges
- Assisting with insulating vans and helping with lining, trimming of cut conversions with knock on trim and helping with assembly
- Use of the chop saw to cut metal to appropriate lengths for brackets
- Contributing to good housekeeping
- Interacting with customers
- Adaptability to cover the wide range of skills required
- Positive & willing attitude
- Proactive and at busy times finds themselves something to keep busy with while awaiting to be given the next task
- The ideal candidate will be driven and show ability in handling the pressures of a busy workshop as part of the team
- Being physically fit due to the nature of the role as a lot of the materials are heavy so the ideal candidate would be required to lift various materials into and onto vehicles
- Presentable, level headed and able to interact with customers when required
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English and Maths (or equivalent qualification and/or ability to work towards these Functional Skills.)
- Engineering Operative Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills in Maths and English if required
- There is a requirement to complete 20% off the job training, this includes time spent either learning something new, attendance at regular workshops, other courses or any support work that is not in your usual role
- Apprenticeship duration will be around 12 – 18 months where the final 3 months will involve gateway for the end point assessment
- Attendance at college as part of the course
- 08.30am – 5pm
- 32 hours a week spread over 4 days that will usually be Monday – Thursday or Tuesday -Friday but may include a Saturday if required. And also depends on one day weekly college attendance
- Working day consists of 2 paid 15 minute breaks at 10.00-10.15 am and 15.30-15.45 pm and a half hour lunch break unpaid 12.30-13.00pm
What Webb’s Vectis Workshop can offer you:
- In house training on a wide variety of different skills
- In house certificate scheme when proficiently trained in certain skills, i.e., fitting of pop top roofs
Starting at £4.30 per hour initially with a review after 12 months.
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £4.30 per hour. This applies to 16-18-year-old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Once qualified and upon successful apprenticeship completion, there may be an opportunity to progress to a permanent role within the business, dependent on suitability and opportunity at that time.