Here at The Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work for The Bay CE School working at our Secondary site.
Tasks and Responsibilities will include:
To support the work of the Science Department under the guidance of the Lead Science Technician.
1. Promote equality as an integral part of a role and treat everyone with fairness and dignity.
2. To develop and maintain a generic skill set that allows the Isle of Wight Council to employ your skills, abilities and experience across the Council and its formal partnerships as needed.
3. To gain knowledge of COSHH and how it relates to Science Education, to gain knowledge of the guidance in CLEAPSS and remain up-to-date with that guidance.
4. To follow the CLEAPSS Induction programme for Science technicians
5. Assist with the maintenance of the department resources.
6. Adhere to all school and department Health and Safety policies and procedures including CLEAPSS guidance and adopt safe working practices.
7. To undertake the general maintenance and cleaning of equipment
8. To collect and organise stored equipment and materials for class use
9. To prepare equipment and materials for class lessons and demonstrations
10. To check materials and equipment for damage before and after class use
11. To comply with the safe disposal of chemical and biological waste as per CLEAPSS regulations
12. To undertake the care of plants and specimens as required
13. To maintain clean glassware and equipment
14. To maintain and organise resources in Prep-Room and storage areas
15. To undertake the photocopying of paperwork for class use as required
16. To liaise with the lead technician regarding any potential health and safety problems with equipment
17. To assist in the inventory of materials and equipment and associated stocktaking duties
18. To assist with checking of deliveries
19. To understand and follow the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all experiments
20. To assist in the cleaning of science laboratory sink traps annually
21. To assist in carrying out PAT testing of electrical equipment when necessary
ANY APPLICATIONS THAT ARE SUBMITTED WITH ONLY A CV AND NO COVER LETTER WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Closing date for applications will be Monday 22nd November 2021 and interviews for successful applicants will be held shortly after.
Your details will be processed and recorded in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £4.30 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates