Here at The Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work for Liz Earle as a Warehousing Apprentice.
Rather excitingly, Liz Earle are looking to recruit two Warehousing apprentices into the business working primarily at their distribution centre in Cowes.
The role will see the successful candidates train as Warehouse Apprentices, to undertake a structured training program of academic study focusing on goods movement throughout the warehouses. The successful candidates will be 18 years of age and above due to the nature of the role.
The role will involve working in both the Cowes and Ryde warehouses working as part of the operations team on picking stock, packing orders, dispatching stock and use of machinery. Learning sub warehouse function requirements through mentorship, work instructions and one-point lessons (OPL) to help gain the skills and knowledge to support the product flow of goods requirements of the team.
Tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Unload, check and receive all inbound products (internal warehouse transfers and suppliers) safely, correctly and in accordance with all company procedures, OPL’s and work instructions
- Accurately ensure the pallet labels reflect correct weight, measurements, prior to storage, maintaining and updating all relevant documents and database
- Pick, pack and dispatch all orders in accordance with the picklist provided, accurately noting batches picked working within agreed timescales and meet all compliance requirements
- All stock must be picked in accordance with FIFO rules (Batch reading knowledge essential and training will be provided)
- Once orders are picked, ensure stock is placed in the appropriate location ready for use, advising area leads that stock is ready and available.
- Cross team working to support peers to be fully operational at all times avoiding any warehouse-related down-time
- Responsible for the accurate and timely completion and prompt submission of all paper-based transactions and ensure related stock transactions are carried out on Sage/ in database’s in real time to enable stock details to accurately match the physical location
- Use manual handling equipment adhering to all HSE regulations and 20% – off site 80% – on site guidelines and report any damage or issues immediately to a line manager
- Handle products with care and attention to ensure they are maintained in perfect condition, any defects or concerns must be reported to a mentor or TL/line manager
- Keep work areas, sites and all yards clean and tidy at all times following the weekly cleaning schedule, including removing waste / surplus pallets in a timely manner
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, Team Leaders and Managers along with key contacts from other departments, face to face or via email maintaining a professional approach
- Develop proactive and productive working relationships with colleagues within the warehouse team and support each area as ‘one team’
- Be actively involved in continuous improvement, making suggestions for change and contributing to the solution
- If required, capture timings of tasks and add to data log as required • Be actively involved in stock counts and audits across all warehouse locations following stock control procedures and requirements
- Undertake training as and when required, as agreed with your line leader
- Support wider warehouse team in peak activity times along with helping cover any sickness and holiday within the department
- Demonstrates Leadership Behaviours through the overall approach to the role and other people both within and outside of the company
Personal, Essential Qualities:
- Ability to work on own initiative as required
- Desire & Readiness to learn
- Attention to detail
- Good organizational & prioritization skills – Some work experience in a similar environment beneficial but not essential – Basic Microsoft office skills (e.g. Outlook, Word & Excel) experience of WMS/Sage/Stock control system a benefit
- Ability to accurately deliver workload in a timely manner often operating under high pressure & tight deadlines
- Prioritise ever changing operational requirements as advised by the Team Leader or Manager
- Identify stock issues and report these to the Team Leader for resolution
- The role needs attention to detail and clear accurate relay of information in a timely manner
- Undertake and successfully complete the college course throughout the 15 months training period, leading to the award of a Level 2 Supply chain warehouse operative apprentice
- Some contact with suppliers in relation to delivery bookings, consumables, transport, and vehicle / equipment / site maintenance
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English & Maths (or equivalent qualification and/or ability to work towards these Functional Skills)
- Level 2 Supply Chain Warehouse Operative Apprenticeship
- Functional Skills in Maths and English if required and if not previously achieved GCSE grade 4 or above
- There is a requirement to complete 20% off the job training, time spent learning something new, other courses or any support work that is not in your usual role will be counted towards this element
- 1 day per week dedicated to studying and completing modules of the apprenticeship standard as required
- Undertake and successfully complete the college course throughout the 15-month training period, leading to completion of the Level 2 Supply Chain Warehouse Operative Apprenticeship
37.5 hours a week
£4.30 per hour
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £4.30 per hour. This applies to 16-18-year-old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Once qualified and dependant on company needs at that time, there may be permanent positions available for the successful candidates.
So, if this sounds like the next step you want to take with your career, then please apply with a cover letter and CV telling us why you feel you would be the ideal person to take on this brilliant opportunity.