Here at The Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work for Newport Community Council as a Property Maintenance Apprentice.
To work alongside our Property Maintenance Operative, The Community Council has a range of powers and duties which impact directly upon the local community. These include but are not limited to, responsibility for burial grounds, bus shelters, public seats and clocks. The acquisition and sale of land, provision of litter bins, consultation in relation to local planning applications, provision of recreation grounds, the maintenance of war memorials and traffic calming.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities of the post.
- Undertake general repairs and provide maintenance as required
- Routine reactive and planned preventive maintenance
- Dispose of waste material in a safe and hygienic manner ensuring it is available for collection
- Undertake general gardening tasks such as grass cutting, maintenance of hedges etc
- Undertake like for like electrical maintenance such as bulb, tubes, fuses, starters, and diffuser replacement.
- Carry out regular plant and equipment checks and report on defects.
- Carry out Health and Safety checks and maintain statutory compliance in accordance with relevant specifications and regulations
- Always provide a customer focused service
- Repairing roofing and guttering
- Painting walls
- Hanging doors and fitting skirting boards
- Repairing or rebuilding walls
- Tiling walls and floors
- Undertaking small plumbing repairs and minor electrical tasks
- Performing checks on security and fire appliances
- Masonry work on external walls or steps, laying slabs, erecting fences, laying vinyl flooring, glazing, and replacing glass
- Have a basic knowledge of health and safety
- Be dedicated to completing a Property/Maintenance qualification as an apprentice
- Problem solving skills
- Good attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- To attend college on a weekly basis and complete regular assignments whilst maintaining a high level of performance
- Full Drivers Licence
- Physically fit
- Qualifications Required
- Grade C or above at GCSE (or equivalent level) in English and Maths.
- 30Hours per week between 9am-3pm Days will be Monday – Friday including 1 day per week at college.
- Level 2 Property Maintenance Standard
- Apprenticeship duration will be between 12 -18 months + 3 Month End Point Assessment
- Functional Skills – if not already achieved a GCSE C (or above) in maths, IT and English (or equivalent qualification)
- There is a requirement to complete 20% off job training, College attendance will contribute but time spent either learning something new, other courses or any support work you that is not your usual role will also be counted
ANY APPLICATIONS THAT ARE SUBMITTED WITH ONLY A CV AND NO COVER LETTER WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Closing date for applications will be Friday 29th October 2021, and interviews for successful applicants will be held shortly after.
Your details will be processed and recorded in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £4:30per hour. This applies to 16-18-year-old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates